The turbine house. The Leviathan is not at all the only engineering innovation that was designed and built on the grounds of Birr Castle. This rude shed, almost buried in the grounds' flora, housed an early turbine electric generator. Charles A. Parsons, the Fourth Earl's youngest surviving brother, invented the modern steam turbine and this house enclosed one which generated electricity for the castle in the 1800's. The recent upper structure protects this historic shed from the elements.